The project for submission had to be within the guidelines of the July 2013 color challenge. The goal was to incorporate at least two of the four colors: Red, white, and two shades of blue. To check out the challenge and see the amazing entries....click here.
I started to panic when I saw the color scheme at first. I am a grungy girl ....how on earth could I incorporate these colors into my style? I contemplated choosing a project fitting the color scheme or using just two of the colors....but decided to embrace the challenge head on and use all 4. I have to say I was pleased with the results.
For my project I decided to do an altered paint brush. My favorite projects tend to be those that I make something new out of something old. I also wanted to try different techniques with the sprays to see what more I could get out of them.
For the handle, I base coated it in brown. Once dry, I stamped with a script stamp and embossed with extra fine embossing powder. Then came the fun part. I used Jumping Jack Frost, Danny Zuko's Denim, Ocean Breeze Blue, and Caribbean Blue to create a mottled look. I love how it came out.
To add a little brightness, I sprayed some Tim Holtz tattered trim with the sprays as well.
Instead of using the metal cuff on the brush, I discarded it when I took out the bristle block. I found that in the last brush I did, I loved using grunge board instead. I coated with gesso then sprayed and blotted until I got the desired look.
A close up of the handle. I love how some of the brown shows through and the text becomes very subtle, but gives it some interest.
On the cuff I also stamped with a script stamp and embossed the edges with embossing powder to give it some definition.
I died some lace with the sprays and tucked part of it to the inside of the cuff. Over the top I added a quote piece from TH that I added white gesso to. It is secured in place with dyed twine in none other - Lindy's sprays.
On this tag I sprayed my craft mat with the colors and then dipped the paper into the ink until I got the look I wanted. Then I sprayed the red onto my craft sheet and dipped the stamp into it. It worked beautifully. Then I stamped in archival ink the butterflies
For the key I painted it with gesso and then sprayed with the stains. I dyed some seam binding ribbon and attached to the key.