Sunday, February 26, 2012

Post 258 and 259

I really liked how that frame came out, so I decided to make another one.  For this frame I didn't rub the distress ink onto it so it came out a little lighter.  I kind of like it.  They are so close, so it is hard to tell though.  Then I also made this weekend some altered dominoes and some mini note cards.  I am not much of a card maker any more so it was a wee bit of a struggle to come up with a style that I thought would work.  I think they came out okay though.  I am working on some larger projects that will take some time for another swap, so I will show pictures as those get done.  For now here are some pics of what I did complete.  Now seeing the pictures, looks like I might go back and add a little more embellishment to the presentations.

Friday, February 24, 2012

Post 257

From the looks of my craft table (see post where I showed the box with the flowers), there is a serious need to clean before I start my next project.  I just don't get how it gets so bad so quickly.  I am like a human tornado. LOL. K

Thursday, February 23, 2012

post 255 - 256

Woot! Tried a new technique to me that I saw on the The Gentleman's Crafter blog.  I loved the frame he made on his blog using a technique he called candling.  It is where you paint your frame a color then when it is dry you rub a candle along the edges and parts of the frame. Then you paint another coat of a different color over the top. When that dries you sand the frame and the parts where there was wax, the top layer of paint will come off revealing the bottom layer.  Afterwards I rubbed distress ink over the whole frame.  For my spin, I downsized the overall frame and embellishments.  He said he put about $20 into the $1 frame.  I decided to go cheaper.  A.  I used only what I had in my stash.  B.  I substituted the ranger paints for the paint I had in my drawer that I had gotten on sale two bottles for a $1.  I used about less than a quarters worth of paint for the whole frame.  The most expensive part were the metals which came out to about $3 then about .75 for the Prima flowers. I put some scrap paper in where the picture goes so it has a finished look when I ship it. So even though it was all from my stash (free) it was roughly $5 all together in materials.  Not to bad 1/4 of the cost.  Now I do have to say - I absolutely love his version though - it was a true inspiration.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

post 231-254

So I really am not good about posting, but I do have a few things to post for today.  For a swap I made my partner a pink wreath.  Anyone who knows me knows I don't do pink.  I thought this was going to be really painful, but it wasn't.  I really like how it came out.  I also made her some burlap flowers as her favorite shape is a flower.  I also wanted to give her some of the left over rosettes from the wreath.  I wanted a way to present these so they made it through shipping and weren't just tossed in the bottom of the box.  So I decided to do a presentation of sorts.  So I decided to make an altered cigar box to put them in along with the prima's from her wish list.