Tuesday, May 29, 2012

days 336 - 347

I must of got off on my days sometime throughout the year.  Oops. Oh well.  So needless to say, I didn't blog every day, nor did I craft every day.  However, I did craft most days even doing something small.  I did try lots of new things this year.  I went way out of my scrapping comfort zone and jumped head first into the world of altering.  Swapping websites really challenged me. 

I do have to admit I went a bit overboard in signing up and accumulating more stuff.  All of it wonderful crafty stuff that is.  I have loved this journey of learning new things, meeting new people, and making great friends along the way. 

Although this year (for the blog) doesn't end until June 16th, I am going to start my new challenges to my self starting on June 1st.  Being realistic is one of them.

My goals for the next year:

So I would like to continue the journey, but be more concious of cost this year of what is going into my projects.  That includes how many swaps I sign up for.  I am going to limit myself to a couple at a time and do low cost/no cost (stash only) swaps. 

1.  Spend maximum $50 per month (including shipping for purchases on line and for mailing swaps).
2.  Try to complete at least one project a week.  If a bigger project, break into several weeks.
3.  Use stash and tools!
4.  Get Organzized.
5.  Learn new techniques and try new things.
6.  Keep a log of materials used on each project and approximate cost of materials.
7.  Make presents early! (LOL - we will see how that will work out)
8.  Go the extra step to make a swap extra special.
9.  Make time to craft for myself. (I was really bad about this last year and only made the desk set for myself.)
10. Have fun.  I got a little overwhelmed with the swaps last year and it almost felt like a job sometimes.  So this year...take it easy and enjoy the process.

I am going to put the $50 aside each month in cash so I cannot go over unless I decide to buy something on line.  then I am just going to have to be good.  Then hopefully I can stay under budget and the money can accumulate for a larger crafty purchase or just save it. :)

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Day 320-335

My partner finally received her items in our swap, so now I can post.

The rules were to use your partner's three favorite embellishments.  I did follow the rules on the first two items, but was not so good on the third.  However, I did make something my partner asked for and in the colors that she wanted.  So that is what matters, right?  :)  I guess I am just a little rule breaker.  Her three favorites were: journaling spots, twine or faux stitching, and ms lables.

Here we go:

Item 1:  The heart is a journaling spot (or could be used as one).  The base of the house is a MS lable.  Last but not least, there is blue twine.  I did cheat a little and two heart buttons.  They were to cute to resist.

 Item 2: Shaddow box picture frame:  I made a journaling spot in the upper left corner, used a ms lable on the bottom.  I embellished both with just the twine along with the photo mat.  I painted the frame in brown and copper penny pixed so that it would have a little shine when the light hit it.
 Item 3:  Okay wrong embellies on this, but oh well :)  I used a combination of browns, creams, and reds with tiny bits of black in some of the paper.  I added a  mixture of brown and cream buttons to the wreath.  I almosted added twine to the buttons, but I thought over time and dust that it would not look to good so I opted out of doing that.

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Post 319

A Box -

I did the candling technique on this box....loved how it came out.  I painted it all in brown.  Then rubbed a candle on the edges and parts of the box.  I then painted it blue over the top.  Once dry, I sanded the areas with the wax from the candle.  It gave it a distressed look.  Then I took a wet paper towel and dabbed on vintage photo distress ink and rubbed it all over the box.  Tinted the hardware with alcohol inks.  Then I blinged out the box :)

Then for the goodies inside I dyed snug hug in different colors and then wrapped with matching Iamroses.  Hope my partner loves.

post 318

Chunky Charm

A steampunk charm.  I dyed the metals all with copper and rust alcohol inks to match.  I used ideas from other swaps to make charms. 

post 317

Altered Altoids Tin

I loved making this tin.  It was so much fun.  I started inking a Ranger foil sheet with Patina inks in moss and jade.  Then I dabbed on rust and copper mixative alcohol inks.  Let dry.  I did the same think to the inside and outside of the altoids tin.  I ran the foil sheet through the cuttlebug with an embossing folder. I ran a vintage photo ink pad over the top to highlight areas.  Then I traced the top of the lid and cut out.  Then I cut again smaller for the inside of the lid. (Wanted to cover up the word Altoids). 

Then for the top of the tin I added wings and a clock face that I highlighted with Inka Gold copper, rust alcohol ink, and a bit of vintage photo distress ink.  I added hitch fasteners as feet on the bottom of the box.  (I got this idea from CoyoteKim) - awesome.

post 316

Junk Journal

Here is a junk journal I made for a swap on the CMB.  I didn't want to make it too junky (which I love) because my partner is going to Hawaii.  I wanted this to be something she could use to document her trip and keep it around. 

I wanted to do something different with the cover.  So I treated it like a canvas.  I did a crackle treatment, sprayed with diffrent glimmer mists, and inked.  Then I fussy cut images from G45 Tropical Travelogue and added to the cover.