Saturday, January 31, 2015

February challenge time over at Creative Embellishments

Check out the February Challenge at  The twist this month is to use the Ombre Effect.

Here is my take on the challenge:

 For the March challenge, I altered a muffin tin from the dollar store and went chippie crazy.  This was so much fun to make.  I rusted then grunged out the tray using crackle paint, spiced marmalade distress stain and using texture stamps including the distress crackle stamp.  At the top of the tray, I used the Steampunk Heart. In the cups in back of most of the images I used pieces of the harlequin and chicken wire panels. For the cups starting at the top left: Love true - I created the ombre effect over the three hearts using alcohol inks on metal charms; the dress form is Prima and the wings and sentiment are Tim Holtz; Let the love flow -  I used the distress crackle stamp to distress the pipework chippies.  To get the metal effect on the chippies I added DecoArt aged patina paint and finished off with some aged embossing powder; Steampunk heart with gears in various sizes; The image on the bottom is from Graphic 45 Steampunk Debutante.  I used gears and a heart from Petaloo and I am roses.;  for the last compartment I used a feather and a prima nest and sign, and a TH bird charm.

Close-ups of each of the compartments:


Thursday, January 22, 2015

Project Tray for Creative Embellishments

I am up today on with a project tray that I constructed out of oven burner lids and candlestick holders from the dollar tree.  I was totally inspired by projects on Pinterest and Youtube, but I had to give it my grungy spin.

 I treated the trays and holders with gesso before rusting with Metal Effects Iron Paint and rusting solution.   On the trays, I made a paper mosaic design on both the top and bottom tray.  I randomly stamped on the paper pieces with the distress crackle stamp.  I sealed the designs with matt medium then a gloss varnish and put a little bit of Gilder's paste in Patina to the edges. To finish off the tray, I added a banner with gears on the bottom adhered to the bottom of the tray with chain.


I needed a little tool cup for my tray so I added an altered tin can.  I covered it in the BoBunny Somewhere in Time collection.  I added stamping with the Pain Splat Trio Splat stamp in Rusty Hinge.  At the top of the corset of the cup I added a piece of the fishnet panel.  The Rusty Hinge directly on the raw panel gives a rusty look.  I added a little bit of paste to the cup as well. In the center of the cup, I created a divider with paper and the steampunk dress form 1.  I used rusty hinge and spiced marmalade distress stains on the raw chipboard and added a little of the patina paste.

Supplies Used form

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Let's Face It for Unruly Paper Arts

Hello everyone.  I am up today over the Unruly PaperArts blog.  (click the link to see the full project).  This month's theme is Let's Face it. I had a great time incorporating this month's sponsors products into my project.  I had not used Pan Pastels by ColorFin much before and really got to experiment and play.  They are amazing.  You can learn more about their product at

Here is a sneak peak of my project...

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

January 2015 Challenge Over at Unruly PaperArts - Global Traveler

It is not too late to join the Reader Art Quest challenge over at UnrulyPaperArts.Com.  This months theme is Global Traveler.  I used Pan Pastels from ColorFin to create the background in shades of turquoise shade, ultra blue extra dark, permanent green, and raw umber.  (Check them out at .  I inked the edges in dark bark Prima Chalk edger, added G45 Tropical Travelogue papers, Prima resins, sand, and dyed seam binding.

Thursday, January 8, 2015

Altered Light Switch for Creative Embellishments

Woot Woot...I am up today on the CreativeEmbellishments.Com/blog.  Today's project was a blast to make.  I had fallen in love with the steampunk gear frame.  I don't do layouts so I needed to figure out how to incorporate it into an altered item. It fits perfectly around a light switch cover with just leaving a small gap on the bottom.  I made a little shim and glued it into place.  I covered the switchplate with washi tape, added modeling paste through a Tim Holtz diamond stencil.  I used a script stamp to press into the modeling paste to create extra texture.  Layered with tons of loose parts,
propellers, mini gears, gear set 2 large, gear set 2 medium, and gear set 2 small. I topped off with metal pieces from Prima and some bling.

I sealed the entire thing with Ranger multi medium matte and a brush with stiff bristles to create more texture.  Then I added a little Art Extravagance black sand texture paste in spots.  Painted the entire piece in acrylics.  Added touches of patina Gilder's paste and Stampendous aged black embossing powder.  To finish off I added some chain, metal charms, a Prima resin dress form.  On the dressform I used the Gilder's paste again with some acrylics.

Supplies Used
Steampunk Gear Frame
Loose parts

Mini Gears 3/4" (set of 12)
Gear Set 2 Large

Gear Set 2 Medium

Gear Set 2 Small
Gear Set 2 Small

Travel Tag

The theme was travel for the December Tag swap on Create Exchange.  My partner wanted bright colors which was a definite challenge for me.  I hope she likes what I came up with.  I used G45 Tropical travelogue and did lots of fussy cutting. 

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Burlap Wreath

Ok I will admit this one was a little bit of a struggle for me as it was way out of my comfort zone.  I attempted to go more pretty and mainstream to make a wreath for someone who had not received one in a swap.  I think it is good to challenge ourselves.  Thank goodness for the ladies at Creative Embellishments.  Their ideas helped me finish it off - thank you for being amazing.