Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Altered burner cover with Kelley

Hi all.  Hope you are having a great week.  I am up on the blog for Creative Embellishments today.  I have been inspired by circle journals and canvases.  The only thing is circle canvases aren't always easy on the budget.  Solution?  How about a set of burner covers from the dollar store.  I love how versatile they are.  Two covers for a $1.oo - how awesome is that?  You can use either the inside or out. 

I painted the cover with two coats of gesso, then two layers of iron paint.  Once the paint was dry I added the rust activator spray.  I used the inside cuts of a doily to create the background.  I wanted it to tie in with a tool tray I had made before. I fussy cut pieces of patterned paper and inked.  Distressed a doily with sprays. 

To anchor everything I used the amazing lace border 1 chippie.  Let me tell you - it is awesomely detailed. I painted it copper, added a coral shimmer spray, then added depth with rust and dark brown ink pads.  So love it. 

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Hi all. Kelley here with a an altered frame.   The inspiration for this frame has been life lately.  I find myself saying if I just had more time, I could craft more....if I just had a larger craft
room, I would be more organized....if I just ...and so on. I realized I have been saying this quite a bit.  I needed to take a step back and remind myself to be happy for all the good in my life.  I can be happy that I don't have tons of extra time because I have a job and a wonderful son.   I can be happy because even though it is small, I do have a room to dedicate to craft supplies.  I can just be happy for all of my blessings.

As a reminder to just be happy with what I have in my life I decided to make a simple frame.  I wanted the main focus to be the message.  I plan on putting this in my craft room so I went totally grungy for the background.  I decoupaged some Tim Holtz papers onto the frame.  I smooshed on rusty hinge and vintage photo distress paints to blend the papers together and push them back in the background. I added black, brown, and white ink to the frame.  I made white and black marks as well. 

For my new mantra, I spelled it out using the chunky alphabet set and the word happy from the happy word set.  I used a light coat of a coarse texture gel to give it a rough feel.   I then used black ink to coat the letters.  I added a tiny bit of the white to tie into the frame.   I added a piece of the paper for the inside of the frame until I find the right picture of my son and I to put into it.