Saturday, April 5, 2014

Playing with Acetate

I had so fun making this art journal page, I don't care if it isn't "perfect".  I was trying to think of what to do for the next project I decided to play a little.  I took a sheet of acetate and cut a mini stencil, some tags, and butterflies out with the Silhouette.  I also sprayed another piece with Lindy's Stamp Gang Sprays and swirled around on the plastic.  I used the tissue that separated the sheets to mop up some of the excess.   I let dry over night. 

I splattered alcohol inks on the background and took the black one and went around the edges and across the page making drips along the way.  I used the piece of tissue that I used to mop up the excess behind the butterfly.  I used alcohol ink directly on the tags and small butterfly, embossed, added a little black ink and some white gel pen.  I had some letters in my stash and added a little white to them.  I  placed a piece of white paper behind it so the colors pop.  I tried other colors but it blended in too much.

I have to remind myself sometimes to just play and have fun. 

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

ATC's and an ATC Book

I cannot say that I love ATC's, but I do enjoy making them once in a while.  I mostly like doing the backgrounds.  It gives you a chance to practice different techniques on a small surface.  I played over the weekend and had a small batch of atc backgrounds made.  I mostly use them in other projects, and like to finish them off specific to that project.  I hate to keep too many in the drawer because they tend to get wrinkled.

I decided that I wanted a little storage item to hold the backgrounds until I was ready to use them.  I was thinking about a little box, but wanted something I could flip through.  I didn't want to make a big item.  I was looking at the little arch I had on my desk from the patina tutorial, and decided it would make a great cover to a little book.

I cut out 20 pages for the inside of the book and glued them back to back.  I cut 3 additional arches so that I could back the inside cover and then do both sides of the back cover.   I cut paper into 1/2 inch strips to adhere along the bottom to make a mini pocket. 

To finish off I started embellishing it like crazy, but thankfully hadn't glued things down.  I changed my mind and decided to go a simple route as I didn't want to cover up the entire front.  That is why I picked it I the first place.  I love the rust, and patina, and the completely worn look of it all.  The book was fast and easy to put together.  You can even make several and organize your atc's by theme.  Here are just a few more pages that I have backgrounds in.