Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Altered Gumball Machine for Creative Embellishments

Kelley here.  I had an absolute blast making this project with all the fabulous chippies from  I gutted the machine so that I was left with the base, the globe, and lid.  I base coated with two coats of gesso and then added a texture mix of heavy texture cream and course texture gel. Lots of layers of acrylics were added on top.  For the lid I added bling for rivets.  I finished off the top with an awesome airship.  I stained it with rusty hinge and frayed burlap distress stains.  I inked, added copper metallic cream, and a little salty ocean distress paint.

For the inside.  I made a new base from chipboard for everything to sit on.  I used two photo corners painted in ancient gold to put on the base along with large gear in the center to keep the surface even.  I used a block covered in paper and large gears sprayed in Lindy's Stamp Gang Red Hot Poker Orange to layer all the fussy cuts and chipboard pieces on.  I used the Graphic 45 Steampunk Collection for all the images.  I added a large photo corner for interest and structural support to hold up the chipboard clock.  The photo corner was painted with ancient gold and then lightly misted with LSG Tibetan Poppy Teal and the clock was embossed with TH Vintage Photo distressed embossing powder, then touched with Patina Gilder's paste, Prima inks, etc.  There were a few other gear's sprinkled in. I added some fussy cut butterflies, a metal heart, and a G45 metal clothes pin to finish off the inside.

On the back, I had to add wings.  Not a choice - they were begging to be used.  Love, love, love how detailed they are.  Absolutely gorgeous.  Painted with burnt sienna, burnt umber, and ancient gold then topped with a little TH Rock Candy crackle paint.

To the front I added a prima piece over the coin slot. I used steampunk frame chippie that I trimmed down to fit the front panel and painted with burnt sienna and burnt umber acrylic paints then covered in Rock Candy crackle paint. I layered with more gears and propellers covered in copper metallic and black coal prima chalk ink.  I used a few prima metal gears and metal pieces.  I touched over the gears with TH Salty Ocean distress paint. I added a few fussy cut butterflies along with some ball chain in the gumball slot to finish off the front.

At the CE blog ( they host a monthly challenge with a chance to win a $25 gift card to the store.  They have the most wonderful chippies, wood veneers, stamps, and flair.  Hope to see you there.

More detailed pics:

Supplies Used:
Airship 3
Photo/Page corner set 6
Gear  1 1/2" (Set of 12)
Mini Gears 3/4" (set of 12)
Steampunk Frame
Gears 1" (Set of 12)
Wings Set 4

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Inky Goodness over at Unruly Paper Arts

Our challenge for October was Painted Perfection over at Unruly Paper Arts.  I had so much fun getting all grungy. Here are some sneak peaks of my project

To see the full project come visit us over at or click here.  I am having some great fun over there. There is wonderful inspiration from my fellow crafters, challenges, and wonderful sponsors.  Hope you can come play with us.


Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Steampunk Top Hat Featuring Creative Embellishment Chippies

Hello everyone. It is my first solo post at CreativeEmbellishments.Com/blog.  I had so much fun with the October challenge, I just couldn't wait to get started on my next project.  Although I can appreciate all styles, I am a lover of steampunk and grunge.  I keep a crafty "bucket list" of items I would like to make so I don't forget about them.  I have had mini top hat on my list for quite a while.  I couldn't resist making one with all these wonderful gears.
For the top hat, I used Graphic 45 Steampunk Debutante paper.  I love brown and black together with pops of metallic and patina.  I used a pleated trim to go around the base of the hat and thin black ribbon to go around the top to give it a finished look.  I created a band using Tim Holtz Grunge paper and used Frayed Burlap, Vintage Photo, and Black Soot to ink it up to give the look of letter.  Instead of eyelets, I couldn't resist using the Steampunk Mini Gears 3/4" instead.  I painted them black and then used TH distressed embossing powder in Vintage Photo.  I added DecoArt Copper and Gilder's Paste in Patina.  I finished off with some twine to tie the bands together.
For the side of the hat I had a blast.  There are feathers galore, copper wire spirals touched with a hint of patina, a fabric flower, and gems.  The real stars of the show are the chippies. I started off with a flourish that I painted in black and treated it the same way as I had done for the gear eyelets.  Then I layer over the top of it with gears and propellers  ( Steampunk Mini Gears 3/4" , propellers, gear set 2 large, gear set 2 medium)painted black then embossed using beautiful Lindy's Stamp Gang two toned embossing powders.
Products Used:
Mini Gears 3/4" (set of 12)
Gear Set 2 Large
Gear Set 2 Medium
Flourish 17