Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Altered Gumball Machine for Creative Embellishments

Kelley here.  I had an absolute blast making this project with all the fabulous chippies from  I gutted the machine so that I was left with the base, the globe, and lid.  I base coated with two coats of gesso and then added a texture mix of heavy texture cream and course texture gel. Lots of layers of acrylics were added on top.  For the lid I added bling for rivets.  I finished off the top with an awesome airship.  I stained it with rusty hinge and frayed burlap distress stains.  I inked, added copper metallic cream, and a little salty ocean distress paint.

For the inside.  I made a new base from chipboard for everything to sit on.  I used two photo corners painted in ancient gold to put on the base along with large gear in the center to keep the surface even.  I used a block covered in paper and large gears sprayed in Lindy's Stamp Gang Red Hot Poker Orange to layer all the fussy cuts and chipboard pieces on.  I used the Graphic 45 Steampunk Collection for all the images.  I added a large photo corner for interest and structural support to hold up the chipboard clock.  The photo corner was painted with ancient gold and then lightly misted with LSG Tibetan Poppy Teal and the clock was embossed with TH Vintage Photo distressed embossing powder, then touched with Patina Gilder's paste, Prima inks, etc.  There were a few other gear's sprinkled in. I added some fussy cut butterflies, a metal heart, and a G45 metal clothes pin to finish off the inside.

On the back, I had to add wings.  Not a choice - they were begging to be used.  Love, love, love how detailed they are.  Absolutely gorgeous.  Painted with burnt sienna, burnt umber, and ancient gold then topped with a little TH Rock Candy crackle paint.

To the front I added a prima piece over the coin slot. I used steampunk frame chippie that I trimmed down to fit the front panel and painted with burnt sienna and burnt umber acrylic paints then covered in Rock Candy crackle paint. I layered with more gears and propellers covered in copper metallic and black coal prima chalk ink.  I used a few prima metal gears and metal pieces.  I touched over the gears with TH Salty Ocean distress paint. I added a few fussy cut butterflies along with some ball chain in the gumball slot to finish off the front.

At the CE blog ( they host a monthly challenge with a chance to win a $25 gift card to the store.  They have the most wonderful chippies, wood veneers, stamps, and flair.  Hope to see you there.

More detailed pics:

Supplies Used:
Airship 3
Photo/Page corner set 6
Gear  1 1/2" (Set of 12)
Mini Gears 3/4" (set of 12)
Steampunk Frame
Gears 1" (Set of 12)
Wings Set 4


  1. Amazing ..every detail. Totally inspired by your talent!! xoxox

    1. Thank you. That is so sweet. Your work inspires me :)

  2. stunning work! so impressive! Helene

  3. Omg Kelley this is beautiful ... It would look wonderful in my studio

  4. Thanks Toni. I have been wanting to make it for some time to put in my craft room.

  5. OMG Kelley this is are so very talented! xx

  6. This is just incredible!!! Love it!!!!

  7. Absolutely amazing! I love it! Great job on it, Kelley.

  8. Kelley, this is stunning! I love the rust, the embellishments and every amazing detail! It has totally blown me away! What a wonderful creation! Julie Ann xxx

  9. What a FABULOUS project! I love the rust effect on the base and top...the inside is heck, I love every single detail here! :)

  10. Brilliant Piece of ART!! Love this girly!!

  11. Wow, your project just blew me away. Love it. The details and coloring are perfect.


  12. Hello Kell, wow this is absolutely stunning. So many beautiful things to see. Loving all the steampunk goodies.