post 255 - 256
Woot! Tried a new technique to me that I saw on the The Gentleman's Crafter blog. I loved the frame he made on his blog using a technique he called candling. It is where you paint your frame a color then when it is dry you rub a candle along the edges and parts of the frame. Then you paint another coat of a different color over the top. When that dries you sand the frame and the parts where there was wax, the top layer of paint will come off revealing the bottom layer. Afterwards I rubbed distress ink over the whole frame. For my spin, I downsized the overall frame and embellishments. He said he put about $20 into the $1 frame. I decided to go cheaper. A. I used only what I had in my stash. B. I substituted the ranger paints for the paint I had in my drawer that I had gotten on sale two bottles for a $1. I used about less than a quarters worth of paint for the whole frame. The most expensive part were the metals which came out to about $3 then about .75 for the Prima flowers. I put some scrap paper in where the picture goes so it has a finished look when I ship it. So even though it was all from my stash (free) it was roughly $5 all together in materials. Not to bad 1/4 of the cost. Now I do have to say - I absolutely love his version though - it was a true inspiration.