Monday, November 28, 2016

Tag book for Creative Embellishments

Hello all.  I decided to go grungy again.  It is so my favorite.  I wanted to give a Tim Holtz tag book a little make over.   I plan on creating some technique tags for inspiration when creating for those crafter's block moments. 



I painted the book with a couple thin coats of gesso to prep the surface.  I used a thin layer of embossing paste and then heated with a heat tool until bubbly and uneven.  I love this technique.  If you want your embossing paste to be uniform in consistency, it is better to air dry.  This technique though gives incredible texture very easily.  Lots of nooks and crannies for paints and sprays to settle.  Once dry, I added my chippies.  I used the steampunk pipe corner as my main image.  I layered it with gears and loose parts.  I used for the upper right hand corner another piece from the loose parts and gears package along with a propeller.   Since this book is to be used to provide me inspiration, I used the inspire chippie from the Inspiration word set for my title. I used some flat backed gems for the rivets. 


After everything was adhered and dried I painted black.  (Tip:  I did not do this step and so regretted it after - paint a base layer of black before adding your chippies and other layers.  If you have detailed chippies, give them a coat of paint to before gluing down. Then do another layer of paint after.) I then decided to go over it with brown, teal, rust, and orange colored sprays.  The camera doesn't pick up tall the shades of the sprays - but in real life it is really cool.  Depending on how the light hits the colors really pop.  I went over areas of the book in metallic paints to bring out the chippies. 


No comments:

Post a Comment