Thursday, November 21, 2013

Canvas #3 - Steampunk

Steampunk - what exactly is steampunk?  Well, there are many different takes on steampunk but it arose out of the combinations of science fiction and the Victorian era.

1.  Painted the edges of the canvas with a course texture medium.
2.  Painted black.
3.  Sprayed it with copper Lindy's spray. (Let dry)
4.  Highlighted the high point of the texture areas with metallic russet and metallic rust Lumiere paints by Jaquard.
5.  Hit some areas with rust guilder's paste.
6.  Cut a piece of the G45 Steampunk Spells paper and inked the edges.  Adhered to the canvas.
7.  Tore a corner of coordinating paper from the same stack, inked and placed in the corner.


1.  Used a 3D air ship kit from GlobeCraft. 
2.  Inked with Metallic Bronze distress paint and inked edges.
3.  Cut strips of metal HVAC tape and embossed using the TH metal rivet embossing folder.
4.   Inked with Copper alcohol ink - I do direct from bottle to tape (don't use a tool) - just drip down if you get too much in one spot.  Let Dry (very important for next step - tackiness needs to be gone)
5.  Paint with black paint.
6.  Wipe off most of black paint.
7.   Adhere strips to air ship.
8.   Using a sponge and embossing ink - sponge onto areas not covered by foil (gears, post, smoke stack)  then using chunky embossing powders emboss.
9.  Add a little more embossing ink then sprinkle on some black powder then emboss again. 
10.  Run embossing pad over part of the machine and emboss.  I did the edges of the main part in black and hit other areas with copper and black.
12.  Ink over the embossed areas with dark rust prima chalk edger to darken up as well as on the rivets on the metal.
13.  I added a couple of metal gears along with the chipboard ones to give more dimension (inked them up first though :) )
14.  I found a great steampunk image on the internet that I printed out and backed the airship with. 
15.  I used the leftover chipboard piece that I punched the pieces out of to mount behind my airship to pop it off of the canvas.
16.  I finished it off with some metal pieces on the top and bottom of the main part of the ship and the nose.


1.  Added a TH door knocker brad to the middle of the compass.
2.  Inked the wings with copper Viva Décor Inka Gold and worked into the wings
3.   Added some rust Guilder's Paste in spots
4.   Dabbed on Prima chalk edger in dark rust and worked in to darken up

1. Painted with the coarse texture medium
2.  Painted black
3.  Sprayed with copper lindy's spray
4.  Highlighted with Lumiere paints
5.  Spaced out with a ruler so they were an even distance apart around the edges of the canvas to frame.

No comments:

Post a Comment