Thursday, August 21, 2014

A deceptively simple tag

I participated in a color challenge tag swap for the month of August.  We needed to use a dark purple/plum color, light purple, blue, dark green and a light green.  When they say challenge, challenge for me it was.  These are all colors I don't work with very much, but decided to delve in head first. 

I could have taken the easy way out and purchased the new Bo Bunny collection as all the colors would have fit and made it much easier.  However, I wanted to see if I could make what I had in my stash work.  It took me a couple of hours of going through all my papers to find about a dozen I thought might work.  This is nothing new.  I do this every time I create.  I wish I could just close my eyes and just grab paper and make it work.  Sadly, I am too (insert nicer term here) particular. 

When I called the tag deceptively simple, it really appears to be more simple than it actually was to create. :)  That started for the front with textured plum cardstock. Then I matted it with a green patterned paper from graphic 45.  (All the pieces were sized and cut using the Silhouette Cameo).  Then I used to more cuts of the tag shape using a purple flower and striped pattern paper from Pion Designs.  I decided to tear the top and bottom sections of each (leaving more on the purple striped pattern to show through)  All the edges were inked with knotted wood Prima chalk edger, then the layers were glued down. 

I painted the dress form with a blue chalk paint.  I cut the dress form at the bottom of the dress portion to elongate it.  Next I created the dress.  I cut from the plum card stock a piece to fit as the bodice and embossed it, added rick rack and pearl trim.  With the skirt, there is a layer of lace, two layers of pleated tulle in dark plum and light purple, a pleated pattern paper (G45), a layer of rick rack, and then the top patterned paper (G45).  The lace trim, the rick rack, and lace were all white and I tinted them all shades of the purples so that they would blend in.  To finish off the outfit, I added a piece of trim and a blue rose to the waistline.

The bottom portion, I cut out a few images from G45 and inked, created a couple of leaves by cutting out using a TH die, scoring with a bone folder to create veins, and then inking and spritzing with water to get a more natural look.  I finished off with a flower from BoBunny and some pearl trim from Recollections. 

The top I used some of the trim to create a triple bow.  I used a TH bauble to hang from it.  I added a purple rose to the Mellissa Frances hanger to tie it in to the tag. 

For the back of the tag (funky angle sorry), I added another layer of the plum card stock for both strength and that the texture side would show on the back as well.  Gives it a more finished look.  I added the same green G45 patterned paper to the back and then finished off with an image cut from the paper line as well. All edges were inked before gluing down.

No comments:

Post a Comment