Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Week 6 - Use your Stash - Birdcage

I picked up some laser cut birdcages from Michael's on Mother's Day with a gift card from my sweet baby boy.  As I sit working on some other projects and waiting for them to dry.  I decided to paint two bird cages.  This one was going to be simple and elegant, like Jackie O.  The goal here was to complete a challenge where you scraplift a project and put your own twist. The one I was looking at for my inspiration was from Coyote Kim.

I started it off by painting it linen.  Way to plain for me.  I am not a big fan of really light neutrals.  It just wasn't working.  So I mixed some linen paint with chocolate brown and gave it another coat.  NOPE...still wasn't working for me.  So I took a sponge brush and dipped it in water and then in some bronze paint, repeated with bown, linen, and black.  Before I new it .....I had grunged that sucker out!

I added tule, flowers, metal flowers, pearls, pearl button, book plate, word plate, key, lock, gears, clock face, spinner, crinkle ribbon, black gem flourish, black gems.... yikes there is a lot.  Instead of Jackie O .....It looks like Jackie O got in a smackdown with Snookie.  Oh well, not what I was going for...but I love it.   Definitely has my own spin.





2 comments:

  1. I love the birdcages Kelley ! Are these larger than the ones you can cut with the TH die ? And....by the way, JackieO was my childhood idol ! Ha Ha .... I wanted to be just like her, but then she WAS the First Lady and such a class act !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes this is about 12" tall. Yes she was a class act.

    ReplyDelete