Monday, July 30, 2012

Week 9 - A project from Stash

Over the weekend, I was showing a friend how to alter a box.  I started off making one for a swap and decided I came up with the wrong color of red, so I decided to just play and this is what I came up with.  I went with a simple, clean vintage with a dash of elegance.

I started by painting the box with a couple of coats of MS Habenero Red satin paint.  Let dry.  Once I decided to use the G45 Communique papers.I love the black and white diamonds (go figure...are we sensing a theme  Plus this pattern had tiny little bits of red in it.   I decided that the box was too red.  I decided to use a technique (I know I didn't invent it, but I don't know what the heck it is called).  I call it dredging.  So i take my finger and "dredge" it in the lid of the black pain so I get a little bit on my finger and I smear it on the box in different places.  Then I take the red paint and "dredge" it through the black kind of smearing them together.  I love the outcome. 

I used the black and white paper as my base.  I added a strip of black cardstock to mat the red patterned paper that was left over from the inside of the box.  I added some of the images from the stack.  They already had a nice thick back border.  I just added a tiny bit of red paint and wiped off the black and white image (tanish too) to tie it in with the rest of the images.  I added a black flourish and a couple of TC corners.  However, I didn't like that they were so silver (which I loved) against the color of the box closure.  So I added just a little Inka Gold in gold to the corners to make them match a little better. 

 On the inside I lined with the red print.  I added a little pocket on the inside lid from the reverse print of the paper.  I added a little bit of black trim and tucked some of the images inside the pocket.  I forgot to mention that I adhered all the papers down and sealed on top with multi-medium matte.
 I added feet ( just round beads painted the same way as the box) to give the box a little more substance.  I did ink all the edges of the paper in black before adhering to the outside/inside of the box.

No comments:

Post a Comment