Sunday, October 27, 2013

Canvas #2 - VIntage with a whole lot of rust :) (Pic Heavy)





My favorite color is rust.  I absolutely love it. (Orange is not far behind :) )  For this canvas that centers around the vintage theme, I wanted to go for an aged rustic vibe versus grandma wallpaper with ribbons, lace and pearls.

I was working on two other canvases when I realized, that rusted accents would be nice to have for them, but I was all out of rusted pieces.  Yesterday I spent a good part of day with the rusting process, but it was so worth it.  Once done, I was inspired to do a vintage piece with some of my freshly rusted goodies.  So I put the other two aside and started on this one.

Here is the finished piece:




I started to do the base of the canvas in my favorite paint technique.  It is fast, easy, quick and can be used in a variety of styles.  At the time I started the canvas, I wasn't going to use any paper so I did the treatment to the entire front and sides.

CANVAS: Wax resist paint technique
1. Paint the canvas with a base color.  I chose chocolate brown.  Let complete dry.
2.  Use a candle (I just broke a taper into two to make it easier to use) and go in the areas that you want the brown to show through.  Personally I go around all the edges and make some swipes across the front.
3. Paint with another color over the top.  I had a difficult time choosing at first.  I had put this aside and did another step.  When I chose a color for the tint, I knew that this was the color I wanted. I decided to go with Peeled Paint Distress Paint.  Normally my preference is to use cheap acrylic paint as it works best.  Never having used this paint before for this technique...I was nervous.  It worked though.  It is important to let it completely dry before moving onto the next step. 
4.  Sand.  The top coat of paint will be removed where the wax was revealing the bottom coat.  I like to sand a little more to age the surface as well.  This isn't a great picture, but it gives you the idea.
5. I go over the paint with some distress ink to age a little further.  I used aged burlap to tone the peel paint to an aged color.  I then sprayed with Lindy's sprays in Burnished Brass and Copper.  I then lay a paper towel to absorb some of the extra spray.  I don't swipe...just lay and pull up.  I love that it leaves behind the shimmer but still looks nice and aged.

PAPER DISTRESSING:
1.  I cut my paper just a little smaller than the dimensions of the canvas.
2.  Using the Invild Bolme distress tool I distressed around the edges.  I also created little knicks in the paper along the way - this is important for the next couple of steps.
3.  I spritzed the edges with water (not to wet, but enough to loosen the fibers.  I rolled the edges and used the knicks in the paper to roll further in some ares.  I didn't want it to be uniform.  By using the water it not only helps with the process, but when it dries the rolled edges will stay in place - no glue needed. 
4. I scratched the surface of the tool that looks like a grater.
5.  I went over the edges with Prima Rusty Keys and Rusty Bucket chalk edgers. 

RUSTING:
1.  Select and prep items to rust.  I collected a wide variety of items to rust.  I chose from buttons to die cuts.  On non-porous items, treat with gesso first so that the iron paint will stick.
2.  These are really stinky so use in a well ventilated area.
3.  I use Metal Effects Iron Paint and Rust Activator. 
4.  Shake the iron paint, then when opened mix it.  You want to make sure the iron flakes are distributed throughout the paint and not settled to the bottom.
5.  Paint on 1 coat of the iron paint and let dry for at least 1/2 hour.  It may not be a perfect coat depending on the surface and that's okay.  The next coat will adhere much better.
6.  Paint on the second coat.  You want it to be a thick coat but not to thick.  Just nice and covered.  It is important to give a lot of dry time.  I wait about an hour and a half before the next step.
7.  The Rust Activator is super stinky - even more than the Iron Paint - so be prepared.  Apply the rust activator to the pieces.  I add more in some areas than other.  I let it pool up in spots. It is my preference that the rust doesn't look all even and perfect.  I like it to look "naturally" aged.
8.  Wait 5 minutes and then add another coat of activator. 
9.  Wait for the magic to happen.  It will rust starting after a little while, but you will get the full extent of the rust within hours.
10. Due to the time, I rust in batches for items to use in future projects.  I alter them as I need them.



LAYERING:
1.  I cut a piece of rusted canvas.  OMG...I got all giddy when I saw this.  After trimming the edges were all neat and perfect....not what I wanted.  The fibers were tight because it had been painted over.  I love handy dandy tools.  I used my time holds scratchy tool, but I could have used my prima one.  There is a scratch tool in the end.  Just wet the edges of the fabric.  Start how deep you want your fray to be and pull outwards.  this is very quick and easy.
2.  Next I sprayed a piece of burlap with Lindy's Copper spray.  And layered it over the rust. 
3.  I took a die cut clock that I had rusted and added TH Rock Candy Distress crackle over the top. 





THE PHOTO:
A friend of mine sent me as a rack a bag full of vintage photographs and post cards.  I have been hoarding those suckers.  Not all of them are in the best of shape, but they are perfect that way. 
1. For the photo - I used the TH Tinting Technique from Chem 102 using Peeled Paint and Walnut Stain.  I then edged it using the Rusty Bucket chalk edger again.
2. For the photo mat- I cut down a tag to the size I wanted.  I distressed the edges and inked in the Rusty Bucket.
3.  The color was a little bright so I sprayed a little with the lindy's copper spray and magic happened.  I loved it. 





BRINGING IT TOGETHER AND THE FINAL TOUCHES:
1. In my rusty treasures I found the number two.  I cleaned it up and defined the edges with the Rusty Bucket chalk edger. It gave it some dimension.  I thought that it would work well since there were two children in the picture and decided to do a play on words.  Digging through my stash I found the other two pieces to make a phrase: Live 2 capture life's moments. 
2.  I used aged chunky embossing powder and embossed the live randomly.  I finished it off with some and dyed twine.  I just take natural twine and run it across my ink pad - I used Distress Ink Rusty Hinge.  Fir the capture the life's moments I rand over the entire thing with rusty bucket and rusty keys chalk ink edgers then just pressed the top over my DI Spiced Marmelade to give it a blotchy look.
3. Before adding the two, I tucked in a piece of tool behind the picture to have the 2 stand out from the clock piece.
4.  I wasn't going to add any flowers to this piece, but I had made a rusted one and fell in love.  I just couldn't resist.  It had to be done :). 
5.  The clock hands were glued behind the picture.  I did add Rock Candy crackly paint to that as well. 
6.  I like the picture, but it just didn't seem like it was carrying enough punch for me.  I added some rusty keys chalk edger and rubbed in around the edges and into the white space to age.  I kept it light, but wow what a difference.  I added the word bar to the bottom with dyed twine and a garment pin.  It gave it some great weight visually, but it still needed something else.
7.  Digging through my freshly rusted Items I had the perfect piece.  I added some Rocky Candy to the top.  Once dry, I added some Rusty Hinge distress stain and then swiped.  I brushed off some of the crackle as I wanted it to have an aged pitted look. 
8.  For the final piece, I wanted to put something on top, but wasn't sure.  I tried a rusted button and it looked good; however, in a sea of rust it just blended in.  I had some Jolee's French General embellies that I had pulled out for my last canvas, but didn't use.  It was all white and pearly.  I took the rusty bucked chalk edger to it and wow...it was perfect for what I needed.  I added it to the top and the canvas is complete.











2 comments: