This is week 1, year 2 of my blog. I am going to post weekly of what I accomplished during the week. It seems like I had difficulty getting in a daily post last year. I may do multiple posts on the same day so I can categorize them.
Making What You Have Work
I knew I wanted to spell out a quote for a project. It needed to fit in my grunge theme and it needed to fit on a limited space. I started digging through my supplies to try and see what worked. I will tell you that it makes it easier when you get all like items in the same place so that you can see what you have. I have a tendency to forget about things until after a project is already done.
I tried chipboard letters but they were too big and I didn't really want to go paper for this project. I settled on the fact that I wanted to use metal letters so I started digging. Yes I found two sets of metal letters that were ok, but not exactly what I wanted so I decided to alter them. The awesome thing is they have been neglected in my stash for ever. A friend gave me the block ones about 4 or 5 years ago for free because she didn't want them. The tag ones I got in a value pack of metals from Joanns in 2007 for $10 when I went to Massachusettes to visit my grandma.
This is the before shot of what they looked like (no laughing - this is just a happy coincidence that I pulled these two out):
My problem is that are the silver color. Not very grungy and the tags were too big to spell out the quote in the defined area. So I started with the bigger letters and began to grunge them out. I started with a coat of gesso before I applied rust alcohol ink.
The next step is I grunged up some small pieces of white core cards stock by sanding it. Then I layered it behind the letters. Great way to use scraps as it doesn't take much paper. After that. I coated random edges with a versa mark pad and used black embossing powder. It made a difference of really making the letters stand out. (This was a technique I learned from CoyoteKim).
For the tags, I cut them down to size just using regular scissors. I wanted them to vary a little so I made sure that I wasn't precise in cutting them down. The were so tiny after I cut them out, I knew it would be a nightmare to work with them. So I decided to put down strips of the double sided tacky tape on a piece of scrap paper. Then I arranged my title. Inked the letters. I did not gesso these as I didn't want them as dark so I just applied rust alcohol ink. I then cut out the words separately. It made it so much easier to adhere to the project.
Finished quote: Every act of creation is first an act of destruction. - Pablo Picasso. (Yep that is magic mesh underneath the quote. I have tons of that stuff)